Colors of Life is a Section 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that embraces the idea that by combining art with philanthropic activities, the quality of life and conditions of the less-fortunate can be improved. Through the International Photo Contest, held annually, Colors of Life has provided support and attention for institutions and organizations that share its goals.
This year’s competition will be carried in conjunction with the activities of Life Pieces to Masterpieces,a youth development and education organization that uses artistic expression to develop character and leadership, unlock potential and prepare African American boys and young men (ages 3-25) to transform their lives and communities. Along with art, Life Pieces to Masterpieces students participate daily in academic tutoring, mentoring, leadership, youth development as well as character education and life skills building.
“Young Men with Big Dreams”.
Preferred subjects for photographs submitted are those focusing on courage, strength, leadership, kindness and the value that education has for boys and young men living in low-income communities worldwide, and related to the activities, mission and goals of Life Pieces to Masterpieces.
- Open to all photographers.
- All forms of photographic medium are eligible.
- Call for entries => April 1st, 2014.
- Entry deadline => June 30, 2014.
- Finalist photos announcement => June 15, 2014.
Jury review and selection will be completed by July 15, 2014 and the 20 selected finalist photos will be announced at such time.
The goal of this year’s competition is to produce a documentary-style exhibition from the 20 finalist photographs that will be exhibited at The Pepco Edison Gallery in Washington DC during October 2014 and subsequently in other venues.
- 1st prize => US$ 1,000.00 + Contest Catalogue.
- 2nd prize => US$ 750.00 + Contest Catalogue.
- 3rd prize => US$ 500.00 + Contest Catalogue.
- Two honorable mention awards will receive a Contest catalog (no cash prize).
A non-refundable entry fee of US$ 30.00 entitles each artist to submit up to 3 images.
- Format: JPG/JPEG 300 ppi, longest dimension 1200 pixels.
- File size should not exceed 2 MB each.
- Please do NOT include borders or watermarks.
- File name should include artist’s first and last name, image title, and number
Pay the entry fee online via paypal secure payment gateway (you can either choose to pay via an existing paypal account or by using a valid credit card)
choose to submit via
- Regular mail:
by sending us up to 3 images complying with the SUBMISSION SPECIFICATIONS to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
by sending us a CD/DVD with a completed copy of the entry form to the following address:
Colors of Life International Photo Contest
1725 I Street NW - Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006
The 5 prize-winning photographs will be selected by:
- Anne Fletcher, Art Curator – Capital One
- Marina Galvani, Art Curator – The World Bank
- Robert Houston, Prize-winning photographer
Jury review and selection will be completed by July 15, 2014. Finalists will be notified by email shortly afterward.
All finalist artists must send to email@example.com no later than August 15, 2014
- the selected image(s) preferably in TIFF format (allowing the image to be enlarged to a minimum of 20 x 30 inches). Alternatively, details about where to upload the image(s) will be sent to the finalist photographers after the jury selection.
- a current CV and documentary narrative (caption) regarding the selected image(s) in a Word document.
- Work which does not meet the specified conditions for exhibition will be disqualified.
- Colors of Life reserves the right to reproduce photos submitted in connection with Contest promotion and as otherwise set forth herein.
- The framed prints or digital images of the 20 finalist photographs may subsequently be loaned or donated or rights therein granted by Colors of Life to galleries, museums, philanthropic institutions and cultural organizations of high artistic quality or otherwise used for educational purposes.
Submission of an entry to this competition implies acceptance of all conditions stated above.