Colors of Life announces the 2014 Seventh Edition of the Colors of Life International Photo Contest
Colors of Life - An International Photo Contest providing an opportunity for photographers to submit and exhibit their works in the United States and internationally
ABOUT COLORS OF LIFE
Colors of Life is a Section 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that embraces the idea that by combining art with philanthropic activities, the quality of life and conditions of the less-fortunate can be improved. Through the International Photo Contest, held annually, Colors of Life has provided support and attention for institutions and organizations that share its goals.
ABOUT THE PHOTO CONTEST
This year’s competition will support the activities of Life Pieces To Masterpieces (LPTM) www.lifepieces.org a youth development and education organization that uses artistic expression to develop character and leadership, unlock potential and prepare African American boys and young men (ages 3-25) to transform their lives and communities. Along with art, LPTM students participate daily in academic tutoring, mentoring, leadership, youth development as well as character education and life skills building.
“Young Men with Big Dreams”
Preferred subjects for photographs submitted are those focusing on courage, strength, leadership, kindness and the value that education has for boys and young men living in low-income communities worldwide, and related to the activities, mission and goals of Life Pieces To Masterpieces.
Open to all photographers
All forms of photographic medium are eligible
Call for Entries
- April 1, 2014
- June 30, 2014
Finalist Photos Announcement
Jury review and selection will be completed by July 15, 2014 and the 20 selected finalist photos will be announced at such time.
The goal of this year’s competition is to produce a documentary-style exhibition from the 20 finalist photographs that will be exhibited at Pepco Edison Gallery in Washington DC during October 2014 and subsequently in other venues.
- 1st prize winner will receive US$ 1,000 plus a Contest catalog
- 2nd prize winner will receive US$ 750 plus a Contest catalog
- 3rd prize winner will receive US$ 500 plus a Contest catalog
- Two honorable mention awards will receive a Contest catalog (no cash prize)
A non-refundable entry fee of US$ 30.00 entitles each artist to submit up to 3 images.
Method of Payment
Each artist can pay the entry fee via:
- A valid PayPal account (www.paypal.com) to the following seller account: email@example.com
- A valid credit card - all major credit cards (Amex, Visa, MasterCard) are accepted for payment of the entry fee via PayPal (www.paypal.com) to the following seller account: firstname.lastname@example.org or
- By international money order or check drawn on a US bank made payable to Colors of Life
SUBMISSION SPECIFICATIONS (from April 1, deadline June 30, 2014)
- Format: JPG/JPEG 300 ppi, longest dimension 1200 pixels
- File size should not exceed 2 MB each
- Please do NOT include borders or watermarks
- File name should include artist’s first and last name_ image title_ and _number
- Example: John Smith_ Child at School_ 1
How to Submit
- By email:
- Pay the entry fee (see Method of Payment)
- Send up to 3 images complying with the SUBMISSION SPECIFICATIONS to the following email address: email@example.com
- Provide your complete name and address
- By regular mail:
- Pay the entry fee (see Method of Payment)
- Send a CD/DVD with a completed copy of the entry form (click here to download it) to the following address:
- Colors of Life International Photo Contest
1725 I Street NW - Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006
JURY REVIEW AND SELECTION
The 5 prize-winning photographs will be selected by:
- Anne Fletcher, Art Curator – Capital One
- Marina Galvani, Art Curator – The World Bank
- Robert Houston, Prize-winning photographer
Jury review and selection will be completed by July 15, 2014. Finalists will be notified by email shortly afterward.
WORK FROM FINALISTS
All finalist artists must send to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than AUGUST 15, 2014:
- 1) The selected image(s) preferably in TIFF format (allowing the image to be enlarged to a minimum of 20 x 30 inches). Alternatively, details about where to upload the image(s) will be sent to the finalist photographers after the jury selection
- 2) A current CV in a Word document
- 3) A comprehensive educational narrative (caption) regarding the selected image(s) in a Word document
Work which does not meet the specified conditions for exhibition will be disqualified.
- Colors of Life reserves the right to reproduce photos submitted in connection with Contest promotion and as otherwise set forth herein.
- The framed prints or digital images of the 20 finalist photographs may subsequently be loaned or donated or rights therein granted by Colors of Life to galleries, museums, philanthropic institutions and cultural organizations of high artistic quality or otherwise used for educational purposes.
Submission of an entry to this Contest implies acceptance of all conditions stated above.
For any additional information regarding this year’s Contest, please contact us at:
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: www.colorsoflife.org